In 2018 all three of Dance Umbrella’s Artistic Directors – Val Bourne CBE, Betsy Gregory and Emma Gladstone – invited an established artist from their time at the helm to nominate a ‘choreographer of the future’ as part of a new commissioning project, Four by Four, to celebrate Dance Umbrella’s 40th anniversary. Four by Four is a transformational intervention for these young artists as they emerge as dance makers and create a piece of repertoire which, after premiering in London, is then available for touring worldwide.
To change and to diversify audiences for dance in the future, Four by Four disrupts the top-down approach to curation, introducing more creation and risk into our programme. It gives four artists, previously unknown to DU, a platform at one of the world’s leading dance festivals. Their fresh perspectives will help us continue to attract new and younger attendees for dance while providing bold work for established audiences.
Thanks to your generous funding and support, we are delighted to present two new works at Dance Umbrella festival 2019 from our Four by Four artists: Here and Now by Mythili Prakash, premiering at Fairfield Halls andWhy Should It Be More Desirable … ? by Georgia Vardarou at Sadler’s Wells.
Commissions from Jon Maya Sein and Abby Zbikowski will be presented at Dance Umbrella festival 2020.
Your donation could make the crucial difference in reaching our target and presenting these four exceptional artists across our festivals in 2019 and 2020.
In May 2019 we launched a month-long Four by Four fundraising campaign on Kickstarter to raise £5,000 for Georgia Vardarou and Mythili Prakash. Thanks to the generous donations of our supporters, we exceeded our target and raised £5,157. Check out our campaign page here.
To support the Four by Four fundraising campaign and help us to bring four brilliant new artists to the stage, join Dance Umbrella’s commissioning circle.
• Invitation to a special insight event;
• Recognition on our website as a Four by Four supporter;
• Involvement in the life of Dance Umbrella with first-hand news of our activities year-round.
£500+ All of the above plus:
• An invitation to the 2018 Festival opening night party;
• An invitation to a Four by Four commission premiere.
£1,000+ All of the above plus:
• Invitation to a Four by Four commission rehearsal/insight event;
• Invitations to all four of the Four by Four commission premieres.
£2,500+ All of the above plus:
• Invitation to an event with the Dance Umbrella CEO & Artistic Director and Four by Four artists.
• Preferred seating at the commission premieres and Four by Four crediting across Dance Umbrella’s literature where applicable.