Commissioning new work is essential to keeping the art-form moving forward, and helps us develop relevant and resonant 21st century choreography. Dance Umbrella has a long history of commissioning innovative work from artists stimulated by the modern world, and which shed light on contemporary issues.
We are excited to be celebrating Dance Umbrella’s 40th anniversary in 2018 by launching Four by Four, a campaign to build a new commissions fund for the next generation of talent.
In Four by Four all three of DU’s Artistic Directors – Val Bourne CBE, Betsy Gregory and Emma Gladstone – have invited an established artist from their time at the helm to nominate a ‘choreographer of the future’.
We are proud to announce the artists selected for Four by Four:
To support the Four by Four fundraising campaign and help us to bring four brilliant new artists to the stage, join Dance Umbrella’s commissioning circle.
• Invitation to a special insight event;
• Recognition on our website as a Four by Four supporter;
• Involvement in the life of Dance Umbrella with first-hand news of our activities year-round.
£500+ – all of the above plus:
• An invitation to the 2018 Festival opening night party;
• An invitation to a Four by Four commission premiere.
£1,000+ – all of the above plus:
• Invitation to a Four by Four commission rehearsal/insight event;
• Invitations to all four of the Four by Four commission premieres.
£2,500+ – all of the above plus:
• Invitation to an event with the Dance Umbrella CEO & Artistic Director and Four by Four artists.
• Preferred seating at the commission premieres and Four by Four crediting across Dance Umbrella’s literature where applicable.
A huge thank you to the founding donors of our Four by Four Commissioning Circle.
“Felix Appelbe” Contributive Society
Jane and Robin Price
Jules & Cheryl Burns
Des and Liz Gunewardena
Sandi & Jake Ulrich
Dr John L Collins
Eva & John de Blocq van Kuffeler
Howard Panter and Rosemary Squire
Ruth Glick & Jonathan Green
The Hochhauser Foundation
Nicholas Hooton & Robert Schofield
Peter and Kathryn Kyle
David R White
Christopher and Julia Barron
Robert Israel for Gordon & Co
Dame Seona Reid
Prue Skene CBE
Professor Tim Blackman
Fern & Clive Potter
Nigel Hinds & Judith Ackrill
And all of our donors who wish to remain anonymous.