Commissioning new work is essential to keeping the art-form moving forward, and helps us develop relevant and resonant 21st century choreography. Dance Umbrella has a long history of commissioning innovative work from artists stimulated by the modern world, and which shed light on contemporary issues.
We are excited to be celebrating Dance Umbrella’s 40th anniversary in 2018 by launching Four by Four, a campaign to build a new Commissions Fund. The Four by Four commissions will serve an important platform to develop the next generation of talent. Inspired by the four decades of artistic growth, one established artist from each decade will nominate their own choreographer of the future who will receive a Four by Four commission
We are delighted to announce that the four nominating artists are:
Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker
Stay tuned as we announce our four commissioned artists during the 2018 Dance Umbrella Festival in October.
If you would like to support great dance and gain insight into how a work journeys from the rehearsal studio to the stage, do join our Four by Four Commissioning Circle:
• Invitation to a special insight event;
• Recognition on our website as a Four by Four supporter;
• Involvement in the life of Dance Umbrella with first-hand news of our activities year-round.
£500+ – all of the above plus:
• An invitation to the 2018 Festival opening night party;
• An invitation to a Four by Four commission premiere.
£1,000+ – all of the above plus:
• Invitation to a Four by Four commission rehearsal/insight event;
• Invitations to all four of the Four by Four commission premieres.
£2,500+ – all of the above plus:
• Invitation to an event with the Dance Umbrella CEO & Artistic Director and Four by Four artists.
• Preferred seating at the commission premieres and Four by Four crediting across Dance Umbrella’s literature where applicable.
A huge thank you to the founding donors of our Four by Four Commissioning Circle.
“Felix Appelbe” Contributive Society
Jane and Robin Price
Des and Liz Gunewardena
Sandi & Jake Ulrich
Eva & John de Blocq van Kuffeler
Howard Panter and Rosemary Squire
Ruth Glick & Jonathan Green
The Hochhauser Foundation
Nicholas Hooton & Robert Schofield
Dame Seona Reid
Prue Skene CBE
Nigel Hinds & Judith Ackrill
And all of our donors who wish to remain anonymous.